Taking care of yourself when you are pregnant is taking care of your baby
• 100 billion brain cells are created in your baby during pregnancy, so when you take care of yourself, you are helping your baby’s growth.
• Eat only healthy foods, including vegetables, fruits, whole grains and protein.
• Understand that drugs, alcohol and smoke can seriously harm your unborn baby.
• Rest and light exercise are important for your health.
• Visit your doctor or nurse-midwife monthly, beginning as soon as you think you are pregnant.
• Take prenatal vitamins and folic acid throughout your pregnancy.
• Drink plenty of water and fewer drinks with caffeine.
• Have your teeth checked by a dentist.
• Stay away from people who are sick.
• Ask questions, read to make sure you understand what you need to do to have a healthy baby and learn.